2 Mommies and a Baby

      :  

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

instilling morals

I am starting to really look into myself to see what kind of morals and habits I will be showing my child.

One of my biggest faults is that I am impatient. I clearly have my father's patience, which he got from his father.

My impatience is usually much more apparent when I am behind the wheel of a car.

Hey, I can’t help it that 85% of all drivers out there don’t know what they are doing.

Lois and I are friendly people, at least I like to think so. We have great friends who don’t seem to think we are assholes. We talk to people on line in the supermarket, make friends with our servers when we are out to eat, hold the door for people, etc.

I am hoping that somehow I can restrain myself from letting the “dumbass” comment slip out of my mouth when someone pulls out in front of me and let my child observe the niceties that we have to offer.

The holidays are a tough time to love your fellow human beings. Trust me, I know.
I worked retail during the holidays for about 8 years. One Christmas, I managed the “Holiday Shoppe” at Bloomingdales in White Plains, NY. You have some very nice spirited people but there were also very many high maintenance Paris Hilton Westchester County types as well (there I go making a generalization about people). No offense Senator Clinton.

I could write a book about that experience.

I’ve gotten off task here. Where was I?

I am hoping that we raise our child right. No kid is perfect, but I am hoping that our kid is respectful, holds the door for someone, picks up and hands a person back the quarter that fell out of someone’s pocket, that stops and apologizes if he accidentally bumps into someone, doesn’t talk about people behind their backs, is a good friend and a good person and sees the world as full of human beings, not classifications.

That’s what I hope to teach my kid. If he doesn’t become a engineer or scientist or surgeon (notice I leave lawyer out of the list), it’s okay. I just hope he’s happy and enjoys life because people treat him as well as he treats people.
I just hope he’s a good driver and will be a little more patient (and drive a little slower) than his mommy.
posted by Holly at 9:56 AM

2 Comments:

We will have to do our best to steer him away from the law. Maybe he'll be a banker?

12:29 PM  

I totally know what you mean. It is daunting to think of how much of a role we will play in shaping our kids.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home