2 Mommies and a Baby

      :  

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Happy Anniversary Lo!

I played Home by Michael Bublé six times on the way to work this morning. Yes, I do realize that the music doesn’t quite fit with the Fast and the Furious style of my current mode of transportation but I just couldn’t stop hearing the song.

Things are going to now get sappy.

Today is our anniversary. 7 years ago today was our first kiss and 3 years ago today was our illegal New Paltz wedding. (Our civil union anniversary is in October - we can have more than one anniversary!)

I keep thinking back about when we first met in December 1999. Our lives were definitely going two entirely separate directions. Lois had left her ex and was hanging on trying to maintain a relationship with the twins. She was regaining a relationship with her family – one that was non-existent for 7 years. Lois was trying to get back to being independent.

I was a lost soul. I was waiting tables, bartending, drinking after work, being destructive, teaching high school during the day, trying to figure out life. I was applying to law schools because I didn’t know what else to do. I was also going through life as a straight girl.

I thought Lois was cute the first moment I saw her. She thought I was a screwed up, spoiled, straight girl. I think she made a decision not to get involved with me. I don’t know what was going through my head; I just wanted to spend as much time with her as possible. And I knew I wasn't straight.

Despite her attempts to not get involved with me, it happened. After we hooked up, she kept waiting for me to freak out. I never did. I couldn’t wait to be out. I was so thrilled about finding something that I didn’t realize I was looking for.

The first 5 months of our relationship was hiding things from my parents (I was living at home), sneaking off to parking lots or stealing time together in various places. It was like we were in high school doing something fun and forbidden.

I left for law school 5 months after we got together. Neither one of us had any expectations at all.

I was bad at relationships. When I felt I was losing control, I pushed her away. I tested her constantly, and yet she still persevered, even when she wanted to strangle me.

Through 3 years of full time law school, we saw each other almost every weekend (only 2 missed weekends). Lois made the 3 hour drive on Friday night after work, arriving exhausted. Some nights, it took her over 5 hours. Some Sundays, she’d stay until Monday and leave at 4 am. She was so wonderful and I was under appreciative, only getting sad and frustrated when she’d have to leave again.

There were many times when I would be an asshole, and she would just not give up on me.

7 years later, I am 50 lbs heavier and she still loves me.

Lois is wonderful.

She’s one of those people who no one could say anything bad about.

She has the biggest heart and the sweetest smile.

She does way too much for me, and she always has.

She makes me feel so warm inside and comfortable with myself.

Every issue I have, she embraces and tries to help me work through it.

She challenges me and doesn’t let me get ahead of myself.

She gives me something that I never thought I could have, nor did I know I was ever missing it.

My house is not a home without her.

Her smile will light me up across a crowded room.

Hearing her voice over the phone melts me.

Just holding her hand gives me the most comfort.

Watching her go through pregnancy and childbirth, which neither one of us ever in a million years thought she would do, was the most amazing and beautiful thing I have ever witnessed.

She is sensitive yet stronger than she knows.

She puts up with me.

She is probably way too good for me.

- - -


Lo,

I love you...more.

I need you...more.

You are my everything.

Happy Anniversary!

Holly
posted by Holly at 9:58 AM

17 Comments:

Happy anniversary, you 2! And many, many more!

10:43 AM  

That was so great. Thanks for reminding me how much I love my wife.
I think that's hilarious. We totally have different anniversaries....and we are allowed because, we can't legally get married so screw them. ;)
We are working on 10 years from the day we kissed....we got married in Vegas 6 years ago September, so we just celebrate our Anniversary in September, but 10 years this year. :)

10:52 AM  

Happy Anniversary!!

11:20 AM  

Thanks for sharing. Great story.

Happy Anniversary!!

11:27 AM  

What a wonderful story. Happy anniversary!

12:35 PM  

Happy Anniversary to the both of you! Very similar story for Lauren and I. I wish you another 20 years of love and happiness.

12:41 PM  

Awww! That is so sweet. Happy anniversary you two!

1:15 PM  

i have been reading your blog for several months.. congrads on andrew! we had our 2nd, rowan, in october. what a wonderful blessing for you to have each other. so happy for you. my partner and i met in '99 as well. have a wonderful day.
(i too have usaa and after an accident last friday am happy to have it!)
take care
joanie

2:09 PM  

HOLLY YOU MAKE ME PROUD TO CALL YOU MY FRIEND!! This post made me tear up. Happy anniversary to both of you.

2:21 PM  

Holl, yes it's true you were lost, but so was I. Somehow we found our way, together. I don't know who I would be today if it wasn't for us. I am so thankful for our life together. I know how lucky I am and I will never forget that. You are the kindest, most wonderful person I have ever met. Thank you for making my life so complete. You are the best... ever!!! I will love you always...
Lois

5:04 PM  

I recall that Lois was almost more popular than you were in law school.

Three cheers for both of you! You are both amazing people! Can't wait for the shower!

7:22 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:51 PM  

So. Incredibly. Sweet.

Happy anniversary! Congrats to you both!

11:23 PM  

Happy Anniversary!

9:30 AM  

Happy Anniversary!

10:39 AM  

This was so sweet! Thank you for sharing the story. Happy Anniversary!

11:21 PM  

Just landed in your blog via another blog. We also had a marriage in New Paltz, and I work not far from Marist College. We had our "wedding" 2 weeks before yours. We actually live in New Paltz. Just cool to see someone blogging from our neck of the woods. Congratulations on your anniversary and your baby boy!

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home