2 Mommies and a Baby

      :  

Friday, February 02, 2007

groundhog's day

First of all, for those of you who may know very little about Molly Ivins, please read this.

She was a truly amazing woman. I hope that people continue reading her work and that many torches will be picked up in her honor. And it doesn’t matter what your political beliefs are, everyone can learn something from this woman’s life!

- - -

Secondly, I realize that today is Groundhog’s Day (my father’s birthday and apparently, Mrs. Fedigan’s favorite holiday), but I am not as ecstatic about Punxsutawney Phil not seeing his shadow this morning.

We’ll have an early Spring. Whoop de freakin’ doo.

We haven’t had a winter for crying out loud!

I woke up this morning ready to go out and clear off my car from the remnants of the Nor-Easter that they had warned us about earlier in the week. I peeked outside, wiped my eyes in disbelief, then peeked outside again.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

I live in Connecticut. I am a downhill skier. I like snow.

Okay, so I like snow a little more when (a) I am skiing in it or (b) when I am watching it fall from my living room window on a Sunday morning when I have no where to go, but don’t like it as much when I am trying to get my little self home from work safe and sound in my little Hyundai (which is pretty much like driving a giant sled with airbags.)

I do enjoy driving in the snow sometimes, because I think I am very good at it. We will usually be 2 of 10 people at the mall during a snow storm because we get cabin fever and like being adventurous.

However, I digress.

This winter has downright sucked. We are in New England, I live here because I like the 4 seasons.

We have had 2 or 3 dustings this winter. A dusting consists of a light white look to the grass and no need to wipe off your car. (10 minutes of defrost is plenty).

I know my local friends will be mad at me for wanting snow. I’m sure that anyone who lives in Denver is thinking, “Screw you!” And I know that fate will probably come back and bite me in the ass – such as Lois going into labor during a 2 foot pummeling of snow, but BRING IT ON!

Since I can’t go skiing this year, I still need my snow fix.

So, I do hope a little that Punxsutawney Phil is wrong. I think Punxsutawney Phil’s forecasting has only a 39% success rate. Then again, why we base our beliefs of future weather conditions on a groundhog, I have no idea.
posted by Holly at 11:15 AM

9 Comments:

My dad's bday is today too (61)!! Happy birthday to dads!!

11:49 AM  

No kidding about the no winter thing. How scary, actually.

By the way, you are the woman for being able to spell Punxsutawney so often without a typo.

1:05 PM  

Im with ya! Id like some snow too. We had a "dusting" yesterday. Just a enough to get my hopes up, then it rained. Blah. I took a "snow break" at work to watch it. (Everyone else always gets smoke breaks...its only far)

Be honest..you googled the spelling? LOL

1:38 PM  

ok, I admit I googled the spelling. I cheated.
Ever since I got second place in the spelling bee in 4th grade, my spelling has been downhill.
(I still remember the word I missed, it was BUREAU).

1:49 PM  

Holly,
you are too funny!!!

3:50 PM  

And why did this groundhog tradition start anyway?

We haven't had much of a winter but we do have a bit of snow on the ground. It has stuck around and is more than a dusting. It has been a really mild winter though so I find it hard to believe that it'll be over early. Although, the end of summer was chilly and so maybe it's making up for that. I don't think I mind a more mild winter with the baby coming...

3:51 PM  

Next year you'll have to come to Utah to get a GOOD snow fix. And Andrew and Riley can hang out.

6:50 PM  

i'm with you!

I want snow so badly! We did get a little Friday night and it was so pretty!

I also spent some time Firday looking online trying to understand this whole ground hog thing and I just don't get it. And I really don't get the thousands of people who wait over night in the cold to see if Phil will see his shadow.

10:00 AM  

Hey, at least you get some snow. We've been in California for 2 years now and I'm seriously going through withdrawls. I miss New England so much some days. Maybe you can pop a pic up here when you get your next dusting? Oh, nevermind, you'll probably be too busy birthing at all that. :)

Jo Anna

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home